This soup is one of my all time favourites. The time it takes depends very much on your stock situation. Yes I am annoying and make my own and keep it in the freezer for times just like these. I alternate by making one normal chicken or vegetable stock and then one Asian stock. Do not fear, this recipe is for those who only have normal stock to hand or good quality organic carton stock.
I buy whatever ingredients that are available at the time so don’t worry if you can’t get everything. Just make it according to what you like. I find the mushrooms give this such a rich depth of flavour. This kind of soup is deeply personal! So it is important to just start with this recipe and tweak it to how YOU like it.
Just a quick note: prepare everything in advance. Do your mise en place. It makes everything so much easier.
1. Place all your stock in a saucepan and throw in your whole spring onions, mushroom stalks, a few bits of each of your other mushrooms. Just keep a couple whole for the final dish. Add your ginger and garlic.
2. Boil for about 10 minutes then remove vegetables with slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add your chicken breast to the pan whole and cook for a few minutes. You don’t want it to dry out so be careful not to overcook it. You can also bake it if you prefer.
4. Once cooked remove from the stock and set aside.
5. Season the broth to taste with oyster sauce, fish sauce (careful to add just a splash of this at a time) and soy sauce IF you feel you need it.
6. Throw in your whole vegetables and noodles.
7. When noodles and mushrooms are cooked, take them out and place in bowls. Try to distribute the mushrooms evenly as you can.
8. Spoon the broth over the noodles and add your chicken slices.
9. Sprinkle with coriander and spring onion slices.
Optional: add a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
As always, drop me comment below, plus don’t forget to join my private Facebook Group if you haven’t done so already……and remember The Full-Bodied Evolution Members Club has a wealth of materials and a growing community of like-minded people to help you on your weight loss journey! Plus, you can always find me on both Instagram and Pinterest for more lifestyle food and fitness tips!